Well it’s been a few days since my exams finished, and despite a hectic new lifestyle of sunbathing on the beach, I’ve had time for some drawing. I came to it a bit scared – you can see my progress from never having designed a spaceship up to having drawn 80 or so ships. Drawing and design has never been my strong point though, from perspective/ drawing a straight line, up to anything more advanced!
There are a couple of stations and things in there as well. I found it tricky to think of novel designs, and I’m sure some of these will seem derivative from films, games etc. I initially thought I’d do about 10, so I surprised myself with how many unique concepts I could come up with. I will probably need to visually unify the various ship factions, such as giving the enemies a distinct style so as to be easily recognisable, so more design may be inevitable.
I’ve started modelling a few of them in 3dsmax for importing into the game engine, so expect an update with renders soon! I’d love to know which ships you think are the better ones.
Here’s an imaginary path for each iteration of the game that I’m making. If you have any ideas that you would love to see in a game like this, I would love to know! I enjoy keeping the ideas quite freely moving and changing until I have to actually make that version.
- A couple of planets, with gravity forces.
- A rudimentary ship with a thrust and mouse-controlled turning, that can collide with the planets
- In deep space, thrust is needed to accelerate or decelerate; thrust is also needed to land on planets else you die.
- Static enemy turrets, that can fire lasers at the smuggler ship
- Smugglable resources and fuel on planets; cost money
- Multiple solar systems
- An exponential thrust system for the smuggler ship to quickly cover large distances
- Fuel supply and damage amount for smuggler ship
- Other solar entities such as asteroids/ asteroid fields, stars, non-inhabitable planets – all cause damage to ship.
- large-scale enemy ships with AI to avoid asteroids and planets, and fire at the smuggler
- improved graphics 🙂 sound effects.
- Trade/ smuggling screens for each planet’s resources
- save/ load games
- Guns on the smuggler’s ship
- Physics collisions with parts of smuggler’s ship breaking off
- Modular repairs/ upgrades for smuggler’s ship, with per-module damage amount.
- Small enemy ships with AI to chase the smuggler quickly and shoot at it.
- Directional boosters (left right up down) for smaller ships.
- Ability to call for ally backup a limited number of times.
- Galactic map…
- Distinction between options of trading legal substances for less money or illegal substances with higher risks
- Nefarious pirate ships
- Shady repairs, and occasionally vendors of ‘legal’ goods/ supplies, can screw you over.
- Shields/ cloaking devices that fail if you take damage
- Fuel stations and repair stations as well as planets
- Non -smuggling ‘missions’ – take down satellites, get bounty hunters/ assassins trying to kill you, team up with other smugglers and protect them from incoming fire, kill off other smugglers taking your business, low-level flying and bombing planets.
- Ground level chases from tipped off police ships when loading/ unloading cargo
- Given option to switch sides if your ship crashes on a habitable planet – you start taking out other smugglers and shutting down illicit substance manufacturers.
- Buy planets to gain a steady income from illegal substances grown/ mined/ purified, but with high risk
- Possibly combat mechanics like slow motion, different weapon types
I’m trying to think of a catchier name for this project than “smuggler game”. Do you have any ideas for a unique and interesting-sounding name? Thanks!